Thursday, November 5, 2009

Maryland Historical Society visit

Last Friday I visited the Maryland Historical Society for the first time. I forgot about the small fee they charge to get in and more importantly, that they close their doors from noon-1pm so their employees may go to lunch. Luckily I was able to find what I needed with some help from the knowledgeable, yet not so personable, staff. Be prepared if you go, they do not allow you to bring anything, and I do mean anything, into the library except a pencil and paper. No pens, no cell phones, no bottled water. Surprisingly, they do provide free locker service. Well, not really, I suppose that’s what the $6 admission price goes towards. Also, bring cash because they charge for copies and all pictures you take. Ask before you take any photos, too, because you have to put some copy right laminate over the image before you snap your shot.
I was somewhat disappointed that most of the material I found I had already discovered at the Enoch Pratt Library. I was able to make copies of some new articles I found from the Baltimore Sun, and copy a page from the Maryland Picture Portfolio Series, which provided valuable information about marble steps.
Again, unfortunately, this week was extremely busy for me. Our mid-term was due this week and I was originally supposed to present my chapter on housing in Baltimore. Luckily, that presentation was postponed until next week. I also had a book review due for another class. I thought taking 6 credits this semester would be cake compared to the 12 credits I am accustomed to usually taking. I stand corrected!
P.S. Check out my first post, I added an image of the first book I found at Enoch Pratt. I feel so accomplished, I am now able to upload photos where I want them to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment